Monday, April 20, 2015

Dilsey’s Chapter


I thought that it was interesting how each chapter got progressively clearer and more coherent, starting with Benjy’s trying narration and ending with Dilsey’s straightforward interpretation of the Compson’s downfall.  It is as though we get Faulkner’s own perspective and voice through the ever present Dilsey.  I believe that this writing style was intentional of Faulkner’s part.  Its symbolic meaning could be applied in several different ways.  One possibility is that Faulkner’s writing mirrors the crumbling of the Compson family.  Both the book and the family are unraveling, becoming less complex to reveal the truth that the family has broken apart, unable to move forward with time-they are stuck.  Another reason for the order of the book could have been that Faulkner wanted his readers to understand the emotions and the timelessness of his story before presenting a chronological over of events to readers.  In order to understand the decay of the Compson family, readers had to see certain events from the different members of the family to be able to grasp the complexity of the story.  I believe this at this story signifies “nothing.”  Faulkner is making the point that there are some messages that cannot be fully communicated through the use of mere words.  When Dilsey takes Benjy to church on Easter, the entire congregation becomes “nothing” during the sermon, “beyond the need for words.”  It could also explain Faulkner’s focus on the senses (especially in Benjy’s case) when telling the Compson’s story.  This ‘nothingness’ applies to the entire book, the Compson’s accomplish nothing with their actions, however, by ending Dilsey’s chapter on Easter-the rebirth of Christ-that they have a chance of redemption.      

2 comments:

  1. That's a fasinating thought about the writing style reflecting the downfall of the family but if that were the case wouldn't the writing style get less and less clear as the story progresses & we realize how far the family's fallen? I do also like the idea that some messages can not be communicated through words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Faulkner is making the point that there are some messages that cannot be fully communicated through the use of mere words." I love this, and totally agree! I really like your analysis here, and it's very well communicated.

    ReplyDelete